Monday, November 26, 2012

Where are you on the "tech" spectrum?

If you had to place yourself somewhere on a scale from 1 to 10; 1 being "I can barely send an email" to 10 defining you as a "whiz-bang 'puter dude/dudette," where would you be?

We got our first computer more than 15 years ago.  We now also have a laptop, we're wireless and we just bought a Blu Ray.

Until Saturday night I really didn't know what the hell a Blu Ray was.  I'm hoping I'll know more after looking at the CD but I have a hunch that I'll need to call in my geek pal, Jeremy.

I'm running as fast as I can trying to keep up but I'm horribly behind.  

My "behindness" (I know, that's not a real word but it fits) is glaringly apparent when it comes to phones.  I've been using a Tracfone for many years but I hardly ever turn it on.  My sister keeps telling me to get on the iphone train but I just don't think my life needs that kind of high tech communication.

I remember being on a job probably two years ago and a Wii was mentioned.  I was absolutely clueless.  I know I fingerspelled w-e-e.  It was embarrassing.  I now know what a Wii is and even lost a game or two to my young grand niece.

The reason I'm blogging about this issue is we bought a new TV when we got that Blu Ray thingamajig.  We set it up that night and then had to get the cable box.  Naturally, hooking that system up took a while along with 4 phone calls to various geeky people but we did it.  It only took 2 days!  Yea, us!

So now I suppose you want to know where I'd place myself on that 1 - 10 scale, eh?  I'm being generous here - 5.5

6 comments:

  1. I am an 8.5. Just when I think I am pushing a nine, some new gadget or program comes out and I fall behind. We do not have fancy cell phones, but are considering busting into the market. The less available on my phone, the less tied to it I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got the "dumbest" smart phone available and it still took me 2 days to figure out how to answer it! Then, after I had it a week or so, Kaelyn showed me that it had a slide out keyboard - hmmmmmm. maybe I'm a 4?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, did Stinky roll her eyes when she showed the the slide out thingy?

      Delete
    2. of course, and she said I was in big trouble when she leaves for college next fall.

      Delete
  3. I would say I am a 5. I know what things are...or have read about them/seen them but I just don't care to get embroiled in the hype. Right now we are trying to figure out how to run cable from the router upstairs to the DVD/BlueRay player downstairs so we can stream in movies. My parents just got this at their place and I refuse to let them be ahead of us in the modern world. So if you walk by and see new holes in our roof and the house wrapped in cable, you will know what is going on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, good - Blue Ray experts just 2 doors away. We'll be calling for help or screaming for help when it comes time to set that thing up. We're taking a little break before we tackle that project.

      Delete