Sunday, November 18, 2012

The Quiet Couple

Do you "people watch?"  When you do, do you make up scenarios about the people?

We were at Applebees in Kalamazoo last night and there were a few tables that caught our interest.

Peter thought the man at the table next to us looked mean.  He was older (probably our age) and was with a woman his age, more than likely his wife.  He kept his baseball cap on the whole time which we both thought a bit odd but then noticed he wasn't the only one there to do so.  Anyway, this couple was with a young Asian woman and they looked comfy with one another.  We decided she was their granddaughter who was a freshman at WMU and they had come to take her out to dinner.  

I watched the gentleman for a while and then saw him telling a funny story.  We changed our "mean" opinion.

Then there was a the table behind us.  I couldn't see them but I heard young male voices talking excitably about math.  Huh?  Math?  I asked Peter to take a peek and tell me if they looked like geeks.  He did the slow head turn thing like he was taking in the whole restaurant, not obviously gawking at the math boys, and said "yes" - they were the epitome of math geeks.  I love geeks.

Then there was a table for two with a couple of very handsome young fellows.  I decided they were on a date and was comforted by the fact that they were comfortable with themselves and their surroundings.

Lastly (and the reason I entitled this blog, "The Quiet Couple") was the couple in my direct line of sight.  I couldn't take my eyes off them.  They were younger than us (who isn't anymore?) and never spoke to one another.  I couldn't see his face but she looked miserable; a vacant look in her eyes and a permanent down-turn of her mouth.  Their silence was unsettling to me.

Petey and I can go for great lengths of time without chatter and we're perfectly fine.  This was different.  I knew when they went home they'd go into different rooms and wouldn't see each other again until it was time to go to bed - maybe.  How sad.

Ok, let's pull this blog out of the sad sack for a happy ending, eh?  I bought a new winter purse at Kohl's last night and saved a boatload of $$$.  Yea!  Happy, happy, smiley face.

Do you feel better?  You're welcome.  Go on about your business now.   

3 comments:

  1. It is fun to people watch, isn't it? But I don't think Brett and I engage in it quite the way you do. It is curious, the goings on in people's lives. Brett especially appreciates when I provide the dialogue of what I think is happening at a near by table...I do both parts. : ) Congrats on the handbag! How can one not be happy about that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooohhhh....moderation is in full force. Good for you. You figured it out. And now you can delete silly comments like this one before they show up on your blog. Teehee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never use LOL, but you made me LOL on this one! (not on the sad part.)

    ReplyDelete