Thursday, April 12, 2012

What Do You Say When Someone Dies?

We have two funerals to attend on Saturday.  I've grown accustomed to giving my condolences and no longer feel awkward, stumbling over my words while addressing the family but it wasn't always that way.
The first funeral I went to, when I was 19 years old, was for my best friend Sue's brother, Marty, who died tragically in a go-kart accident.
Like I said, it was my first, and I had no idea what I was supposed to do or say so I'm pretty sure I said nothing - just cried.
Since that time many friends, relatives and acquaintances have died.  I've heard it all from "he/she is in a better place" to "God had a plan", etc.  I know people feel at a loss for words so they, often times, blurt out something they're embarrassed about later.
A simple, "I'm sorry" doesn't feel quite good enough but, really, it is.

2 comments:

  1. We have a funeral this weekend too. Sometimes words aren't even needed...just one's presence and support speaks volumes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely, Ms.Bliss. I remember when my FIL died so many years ago, Peter's tennis partner, a very busy lawyer, came to the funeral. I was so surprised and pleased.
    A note in the mail or a soft pat on the shoulder speaks volumes.

    ReplyDelete