Saturday, August 25, 2012

Do you "groupon?"

I have never been a coupon clipper.  I've tried in the past and it just never worked.  I'd get all enthused and clip the dang things from the paper and even carry them with me to the store - and never take them out of my purse.  One needs to be way more organized than I am in order to be successful at coupon usage.

So lately I've been hearing about "groupons."  If you don't know what they are, don't feel bad, neither did I.  They're online coupons.  You go to www.groupon.com, fill out your area preferences ("treat me like a queen, feed me like a starving child", etc.) and then you'll get emails pointing you in the direction of "deals."

So I did and this is where I ended up with my very first groupon.



 Salon Brandon Jay in downtown Allegan!


See?  Here's a view of the "business area."


And most importantly for some people, conveniently located across the street from two local bars.


Hair stuff happens in these chairs; the partial wall separates this room from the front room.


 The station on the left is where my fingernails got spruced up.  My groupon was for a mani/pedi.


 This is the front room.  More hair stuff happening.  Great light, eh.  Perfect window for waving at passer-bys.  You know how I love to do that - except if you look closely, that's not me sitting in that chair.  More about him later.


The reception desk where people are "received" - hence the name.  Get it?


Tons o' product.


 I didn't catch her name and she did not want to have her picture taken but what's the point of a picture with humongous lips in it without some perspective, eh?


And there he is!  Brandon Jay doing his thang on a handsome (already), suave dude.  Who is that dude, you might be asking yourself right about now.  That's little Tyler Melvin.  He's getting all primped up for the weekend.  Brandon's pretty darn cool lookin' himself, doncha think?


Yes, he has ink.  Boy howdy, does he have ink.  I like ink.  And we were both wearing our Chacos and I have a bit of ink myself so that makes me equally cool.  Right?


 This is the young lady who pampered me yesterday.  Hi, Holly!  It just so happens that her parents are friends of mine, too.  Hi, Kevin.  Hi, Mary.  Holly is a recent grad of "beauty" school.  I'm sorry I had to use that term - it sounds straight out of Grease doesn't it?  I used it because I'm not exactly sure of the name of the school.  She told me and I forgot.


 Here's Holly again.  She's so cute and she did such a nice job for me that I thought she deserved two pictures.  Don't you agree?


Yeah, I know.  You're wondering why I didn't go with some "flash and fire" for my fingernails, right?  Well, as a Sign Language interpreter color is too distracting so I went with a very neutral shade.  I like it.


Now for some "flash."  And I went home with a free bottle of polish!  What a deal.

There is a very friendly, comfortable atmosphere at Brandon Jay's.  Plus, the bonus of watching people passing by and waving at them; don't forget that.  And the bonus, bonus of checking out Brandon's tats.

Go back up to the top picture for the telephone number and give them a call.  NOW!

10 comments:

  1. I bought this Groupon too...I can't wait to try it. Hi Tyler...long time no see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grouponed this one too! And have the same color on my nails! Then I went out to assist Jeff in our fence rebuild project. Holly did such a good job (and I wore gloves) that it still looks good. I like the atmosphere at Brandon Jay, especially the respectful way they have restored such a lovely venerable building on Brady Street.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got this Groupon too...can't wait to use it. The lovely gal you didn't know is Carleigh...I credit her for my recent best haircut ever. My favorite painting in there is the one of the curlers...love that thing. Your manis and pedis look very chic, btw.

    You will love Groupon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm jealous! Is the groupon still going on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is great, Ellen. I got a few giggles out of it:) The Groupon is done for nails, but keep your eyes peeled for one soon for hair.

      Delete
    2. Nice post! Makes me want to go to Allegan. Holly is adorable and does a great manicure.

      Delete
  5. Oh my G O S H! That's Holly McDaniel! The last time I saw her she was a baby!!! She's beautiful. That's Carleigh Arthur she is Larry Lutz's grand daughter! Yep! Kim's her mom. Small towns; you gotta love 'em! And I didn't know about Tyler's ink! He makes one killer Perfect Patron Margarita! He's king in my book! Great post! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my G O S H! That's Holly McDaniel! The last time I saw her she was a baby!!! She's beautiful. That's Carleigh Arthur she is Larry Lutz's grand daughter! Yep! Kim's her mom. Small towns; you gotta love 'em! And I didn't know about Tyler's ink! He makes one killer Perfect Patron Margarita! He's king in my book! Great post! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb - that ink isn't Tyler's; it belongs to Brandon.

      Delete