Sunday, May 19, 2013

Another successful dinner club

Boy, howdy, do we eat well.  I was trying to think back (not an easy exercise) on all the meals we've had and can't remember ever having a "stinker."  Well, except when I was tasked with making plantains.  I didn't even know what the hell they were.  It was not pretty.

We don't always have a theme but back in March I was totally geeked to do a Route 66 thing.  My trouble began when BBQ ribs was the only entree I could come up with and ribs for 12 just wasn't going to happen.  So, I substituted ham and kept the other foods "along the route."  

My search for a really good ham lead me (total credit for the leading part goes to my pal, Sue Ross) to Montello's in Holland, MI.  It's a real butcher shop, y'all.  The meat they carry and process is as local as you can get.  Nice people, too.

First off, let me just say that as the hostess I got way too busy to properly photograph this event.  You'll notice I never got a shot of the table.  

Also, a big, fat "thank you" to Petey.  He prettied up the yard and did a lot of running for me.  He went way beyond the call of duty; I lost count after 5 on how many trips he made to various stores.

We decided to do appetizers on the back porch.  When I say "we" I mean me.  It was genius!



Olives from Montage downtown.

Trail mix from the grocery store.

Hard to tell but that "white square" is coconut curry cheese spread.  Cream cheese/curry on the bottom followed by mango chutney, chopped nuts, cilantro, green onions and coconut.  OMG!

And now (drum roll, please), may I present to you the best, best ham IN THE WORLDNot your average "salt lick" as Tony at Montello's said.  Worth every penny.  Stop over for a sammie; we have plenty left. 
Remember the part about me not taking enough pictures?  Well I totally forgot about the salad Paula brought; avocado/citrus.  It was killer.  You can see I remembered later on to snap the side dishes.  This is the cheesy corn casserole provided by Becky.

Wow, almost missed the asparagus that Melissa brought.
We finished off the evening with this totally decadent tres leche cake that my buddy, Joy, made.  Kill me now!
 As we were spooning (shoveling) in the delicious cake, Tom, leaned over to me and said, "Oh, my, it's only 10 o'clock."  Yes, folks, we do not carry on into the wee hours like we used to.  Is that just good, common sense or advancing age? 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment