Tuesday, February 12, 2013

A horse story

Y'all remember that I'm a volunteer for our hospice's bereavement program - I've been with Wings of Hope Hospice for 13 years.  I'm very proud to be associated with this wonderful organization.

Sunday night I attended a fund raiser at our local movie house for hospice.  My buddy, David Green, had an idea to show the documentary, Wild Horse, Wild Ride to raise $$$ for two programs that he runs for middle school/high school students.  Kids grieve and grieve deeply.  They need outlets for their grief.  The Seabiscuit and Pegasus programs help them with the outlet process.





The theater wasn't packed to the rafters (this was the first time for this event) but it was well attended.  I was thrilled to see so many faces.




Betty Jo on the left and Theresa Lynn (executive director) in the middle.  I have no idea who the guy is on the right.




Two attendees; Shelly on the left and David's wife, Emily on the right.  David was recovering from surgery and was unable to attend. That's Amy behind the glass holding up one of the tickets.




                 Milkduds anyone?  How about some pop corn?  

I went to the movie because I support hospice every chance I get but I really thought I'd be yawning my way through the film - hoping it wasn't too long.

Boy, was I wrong.  It was fabulous!  Petey and I were completely taken in by the story.  We laughed, I cried; we never once looked at the clock and it ran for an hour and forty-five minutes.

The story focused on 10 or so people that participated in a program called "Mustang Make-over."  They took a wild mustang from government land, brought it home and had 100 days to train it for a competition at the end.

The hours and hours that went into the training was fascinating.  Of course, each person fell in love with their horse and after the contest was over their horses were auctioned off to good homes.  There were tears.  Men crying does me in every time.

I left with a smile on my face and red-rimmed eyes.   

No comments:

Post a Comment