Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Something Sweet

Something Sweet is the name of a candy store in downtown Allegan.  Boy howdy, are we lucky to have it, too.






I'll be honest.  I wasn't sure that Allegan would support a really nice candy store with quality candy.  I was a bit afraid we were too much of an M&M town.  I am so glad I was proven wrong.

Yes, the candy is excellent but a lot of the credit for the success of this store goes to this woman.  




The woman on the left, not the darling sidekick on the right.  This is the owner, Diana Doest.  She has never once wavered in her attention to every single customer.  You could take in an old, stained coffee mug and ask her to fill it up with goodies and she would and also, she'd wrap that thing up and slap a bow on it to boot.  BTW, I apologize to her granddaughter for forgetting her name.  I was so sure I wouldn't but I took this photo last week.  That was a loooooooong time ago - in my book anyway.







Drooling yet?  If you can't find it here, it hasn't been made yet.

 
I always think of this as the "retro rack." I know, there's some Skittles in there and they certainly aren't considered retro but I see Neccos and that's what takes me back.  Remember those?






This display holds different flavored teas, coffees and hot chocolates.  Yum!






Seasonal gifts.  Great for the teacher, mail carrier, hair dresser, etc.





This is just one example of what Diana can do for you.  Stop in.  You won't be sorry.  Tell her Ellen sent ya.



 

7 comments:

  1. I love good candy. Just bought a box here in chile from my fav store. Ellen I decided to write about our trip here to Chile. No blog just email to friends and family . I would love to send it to you too but have no email for you. If you would like to read my Chile "blog" send your email to jwestphal45@yahoo.com and I will pay you back a little for all your writing I have enjoyed Joyce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would LOVE to hear about your trip. Sending email addy as we speak.

      Delete
  2. Something Sweet is one of our "stops" when we are showing people around town. Exceptional service and attention to detail!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to know the secret to owning such a delicious shop and staying thin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang! I knew there was something I forgot to ask her.

      Delete
  4. Did she have "FIZZIES".......Those were so cool !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't actually look for Fizzies. They were fun, tho'. It was sort of like proving your worth - how much could you put in your mouth and how long could you tolerate the noise.

      Delete