Saturday, October 29, 2016

Show some restraint

The title for this blog came to me yesterday and was reinforced last night.

I was teasing/poking fun at a friend who was having trouble restraining herself on a Facebook political thread.  I've stayed away from that particular topic (except making fun of DT and his excessive sniffing during the first presidential debate) because, honestly, I'm not very political.  Besides I don't think I could show enough restraint and would be throwing things like "you dumb ass" and "are you frigging kidding me?" all over the place.

The reinforcement I mentioned above hit home last night after going above and beyond at a buffet.  Petey and I swore off those things a while back but we fell prey to a new-to-us one last night in Kazoo.
Why?  Why did we do that??? You always over eat at buffets.  You eat stuff you would never eat normally and go back time and time again cuz . . . you paid for it, damn it, and you want to get your money's worth.  (was I supposed to use an apostrophe there?)

Today I got on a restraint roll and started thinking of other situations/categories that people may have a bit of an issue with when it comes to holding back.

Spending:  I'm pretty good at this one.  I try to hold the desire to spend a ton o' money when it comes to my bracelet making biz until stuff goes on sale.  Last March Michael's had 70% off on strung beads and metal spacers.  I was like a kid in a candy shop.  I even worked up a sweat.  But 70% off?  You can not NOT buy.  Am I right?

Swearing:  I'm a loser here.  I've tried everything in the book and nothing really works.  But I have a pretty good reason why I fail so. It's because swearing does the trick when you're really mad . . . or stub your toe.  "Gosh darn it" simply won't fly.

Keeping my opinions to myself:  "There's a time and a place."  I totally agree.  It's knowing the difference and I think I've come a long way with this one (some of you out there might disagree) but I could probably work on it a bit more.

How about you?  How's the restraint thing going for you?


No comments:

Post a Comment