Monday, July 14, 2014

Death Cafe

I know . . . what the heck is a Death Cafe?  Well, here's the link and it will be explained much better there than I can here.

http://deathcafe.com/

I'm just here to tell you about my experience at my first Death Cafe.

I went to one here in town last fall - I think it was in the fall.  I'm trying to remember if I wore a light jacket to it or was bundled up from head to toe.  No biggie.

The premise is to gather, eat cake and talk about death.
They had me at cake.

As a volunteer in bereavement for our local hospice (Wings of Hope) I talk about death often.  I know, however, that a lot of people are not comfortable having a discussion about "the end."  They use words like "passed on, crossed over and lost" instead of just saying "died."

I was seated at a table with 7 other people and as the topics were introduced the discussions flowed easily. 

 I was the only person in the group who was not religious and no one blinked an eye.

There was laughter and many stories.  Different perspectives based on family history and traditions made it very interesting.

As I'm finishing up here, I'm wondering if I've written about this topic before but I'm too lazy to check it out in the "past blogs" column. hmmm.  

Well, if you've gotten this far, maybe I haven't, eh?

If you're only slightly interested, I encourage you to read about the Death Cafe.  

No comments:

Post a Comment