Sunday, June 17, 2018

Punch/kick like a snake bite

Do you know what that means?  Punch/kick like a snake bite?
My Jazzercise instructor, Brenda Pearson, uses that term all the time.

It means quick motion out and even quicker back - like a recoil action.

The first time I heard her say it, I knew exactly what she meant because I had prior history and performed the maneuver like a pro.

You see, way back in the dark ages when I went to Stephens College, I took a karate class.  It wasn't part of the curriculum and I don't remember how I came to be part of the group.  It might have had something to do with how drop-dead handsome the instructor was.

I also don't remember how long the class lasted but it wasn't too long because our teacher got busted for selling drugs.

It was really disappointing when we were informed the guy was behind bars because I was close to the board breaking part of the course.  And naturally, wouldn't get to see that cute face on a weekly basis anymore.

Who knew, many years later, that the one skill I took away from my karate lesson would be put to good use at Jazzercise.

I could see the appreciation in Brenda's eyes the first time she witnessed my precise punch and she absolutely glowed when she saw my kick.  Delivered like Bruce Lee.

Ok, I confess that last paragraph was a complete fib.
Ok, an out and out lie but my fingers took over on the keyboard.  They had a mind of their own.  Really.

I'm writing about the whole punching/kicking thing now because the memory came back to me the other day as I was expertly punching at Jazz.  That cute instructor's face popped into my head.

Wonder where he is now and if he's still a handsome devil? 

No comments:

Post a Comment