Sunday, May 27, 2018

While the dog's away . . .

the parents will play.

Augie is at "doggie camp" and Petey and I have been having a blast roaming the countryside.

Friday we drove up to Grand Haven, MI.  Such a beautiful place.  I will admit, however, that I had cookies on the brain.  I know, you're shocked, right?

There is a bakery up there that makes outstanding cookies.  I had one last year when we went up for the art show and I've been thinking of it ever since.

We didn't leave town until 3-ish and took the scenic route so we arrived just after 4p.  We got street parking and as luck would have it - parked right in front of the "bakery of my dreams."

IT WAS CLOSED!!! IT CLOSED AT 4P!!!

I stopped myself before screaming out loud "WHO THE HELL CLOSES AT 4P ON A FRIDAY OF A FRIGGING HOLIDAY WEEKEND???"  Plus I knew it would embarrass Petey if I did that.  I almost fell to my knees, too.

Petey reminded me that the staff had probably been there since 6a making those damn cookies so . . . a 4p closure wasn't out of the question.

I pulled up my big girl panties along with a semi-happy face and we proceeded on with the day.

After browsing the shops and waterfront in Grand Haven we headed down to Holland where we rounded out the evening with dinner at the  New Holland Brewery - outside where we watched life go by as we ate.

Yesterday we headed out early for the South Haven Harbor walk.  Another beautiful day.  Mother Nature has really stepped up with this weather.

It's a wonderful place filled with great memories.  We reminisced with old neighbors (from our family cottage days) and then happened upon the Mermaid Fest.








Yes, it's for real.  There really is a Mermaid Society and it's world wide.  They were trying to break the attendance record with this gathering and did!  400+ maids (female and male) were out on the pier.  It was amazing.

After South Haven we headed into Kalamazoo for some great pizza at Erbelli's.

Home by 9p.  It was a long day and we're old; what can I say. And we still have 2 more days to go on this holiday weekend so we need to pace ourselves.  

No comments:

Post a Comment