Monday, June 21, 2021

My friend, Jo.


I don't ever remember not knowing, Jo. Her real first name was Linda but to many of us - she as Jo.

We were in Sunday school together although I don't really have any memories of those days.


I do remember kindergarten with Jo though and here's the photo to prove it. 

First row on the far left - there she sits in all her finery: black Mary Janes, cute dress with a frilly slip underneath.  See the vagabond next to her?  Yup, that's me.  Nice get-up, eh.  Check out my shoes and socks.  I obviously wasn't paying attention to the photographer.  Too busy talking to the poor child at my side.  See how she's trying to ignore me?

Jo and I spent our elementary years in different buildings but continued to hang out at church.

Junior high and high school saw us having a lot of fun together.  Some of that fun will go unmentioned as I don't believe the statute of limitations has expired on a few of those escapades yet. 

Our kids were friends and Jo and I were always competing for Mother of the Year which neither of us ever won.

I have a lifetime of memories of Jo.  She was quiet, a bit shy and proud with a heart of gold and a wicked sense of humor all rolled into one tiny body.

I spent as much time as I could with Jo as her Alzheimer Adventure progressed.  We sat in my backyard, we went on walks and many car rides.  

When Covid came along our visits turned into "through the window" chats and a few through the fence outside on the patio off her unit at Briarwood.

In the early stages of her diagnosis Jo expressed her desire to die.  I understood and told her so.

Now her wish has come true and no one could possibly be happier than my friend, Jo.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment