Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Can you whistle?

I noticed something about my whistle the other day.  I think the quality has improved.  

I've always been able to whistle but nothing particularly melodious.  Not like a guy I know in Allegan - Matt.  He has an amazing whistle.  Like he should be making whistling records.  Is there such a thing?

I actually have two whistles.  The normal one and the "call the dog from a block away" one.

With my normal whistle I could push out a recognizable tune but it wouldn't stop people in the street.  They'd be able to know it was "If I Had a Hammer" and maybe hum a long for a bit but there'd be no applause when I finished.

My really loud (some might call it shrill) whistle is something you're born with.  It can not be learned.  You either have it or you don't.  And it's not the one where you have to stick your fingers in your mouth.  That one is referred to as the "sissy" whistle by those of us who are gifted with the "big boy/girl" whistle.  

I had quite a scare recently, however.  A few years ago I got braces - uppers only.  The see-thru kind.  I was happy with the outcome and then an occasion presented itself where my big whistle was needed.

It was still there but weakened.  After a few failed attempts I realized it was because my teeth had been moved around.  I was afraid that my identity as a "Whistle Queen" (yes, I gave myself that label) was in jeopardy. After some intensive work it came back but not at full capacity. 

I can live with that . . . I guess.

Now, back to the normal whistle. For some reason I started whistling one of my favorite EG Kight songs last week and surprised myself with the quality of the sound.  Pleasantly surprised you might say.

The only down side was I happened to be standing in front of the bathroom mirror at the time and noticed all the little wrinkles around my lips.  Wow, there were a lot.

I won't let that stop me, though.  I'll just do my whistling in the dark from now on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment