Tuesday, July 21, 2026

A Challenge for You

 Several years ago I was having a discussion with one of the monks at our temple about concentration/staying in the moment.

He said he challenged himself to watch his hands while completing a task for 5 days!

Huh?  Watch your hands?  Sounded weird but I tried it.  I didn't make it 5 days though.  More like 5 minutes.  I kept at it, when I remembered, and it helps/works.

I have "danger zones."  The kitchen, the bathroom and my bead making areas.  I knock stuff over.  I have cracked a knuckle against a cabinet door more times than I can count, I have scraped the skin off the back of my forearm retrieving something in the back of the fridge.

I seem to go into those places ok - it's coming back out that's the problem. I pay attention while I'm in the "reach mode" and then abandon ship after the grab.

Why?  I stopped looking at my hands.  I was already on to the next thought while I was extracting the mustard or the platter in the dishwasher, or the sock in the washing machine, etc.

When I make beads and later fashion them into bracelets, I'm working in a confined area.   Toothpicks are involved - don't ask - and I'm embarrassed to tell you how many times I've toppled them over.  Some swearing ensued. 

So. Wanna give it a try?  If so, get back to me and let me know how it went.  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment