Sunday, July 7, 2024

Three Beautiful Days

Wow, it's been a minute, hasn't it?  Haven't posted here since February.  I think Instagram/Facebook have kinda taken over but not today.

This morning at temple our teacher was talking about loving kindness and she led us through a meditation with it in mind.

She told us to visualize a moment/person/event/place that made a huge impact on our lives.  Something or someone that made our heart almost burst, it was so full of love.

Nothing happened for me at first.  I ruled out the day I got married, the day my son was born - those kind of things - not because they weren't pivotal in my life but something else pushed into my consciousness instead. 

Something that happened recently.

Something(s) that happened over the last three days.

We traveled to Fenn Valley Vineyard on Thursday to hear our friends Kevin and Jerry play.  We'd never been there before and I was blown away by the beauty of the place.  Not only the vineyard itself but the drive there and back.  Country roads.  Some of them we'd been on before and they brought back great memories.  Others were new and so peaceful. Almost like the feel of a rocking chair on an old front porch. 

Friday we drove up to Grand Haven.  We've taken that drive up Lakeshore many, many times and it's always a feast for the eyes.  No matter the time of year.

But Friday was different, I'm not sure why.  The winding road bordered by huge trees with a background of a blue, blue sky made me breath deeply with appreciation.  I said to Peter, "we have our own Tunnel of Trees" right here in our backyard.  I tilted by head back and watched the branches overhead fly by through the sun roof.  

Saturday was a birthday celebration (her 75th) of one of my closest friends.  A lifelong friend.  A friend I have shared many, many laughs and a few tears with over the past several decades.

The drive to her house was different this time because we came at it from a another direction now that we live in Holland and not Allegan anymore.

The vast farmlands spread out in all their splendor.  Corn was everywhere.  Dark, dark green.  Various other colors on the rolling hills were like a picture waiting to be painted.  Maybe by my friend who is a wonderful artist.

Sitting in her yard among many other friends, looking at the pond in this peaceful hidey hole almost made me weep. 

So I guess I am now sharing my loving kindness with you.  A loving kindness for our beautiful surroundings.  



No comments:

Post a Comment