Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Cliques

 I was recently having a discussion with people my age and the word "clique" came up.

It has a negative sound to it because cliques were exclusionary.

People who share similar interests and enjoy being together but don't readily allow others to join.

So were you in one in school? Or did you want to be in one but didn't feel welcome?

I had a blast in school and had some great friends.  Some of those friends were ones I'd known since forever and others came along later - the country school and Catholic school kids.

The people I was with when "clique" came up were women I'd gone to school with but never hung out with.  The reason?  They were quiet girls.  Good students.  I was not.

That was pretty much it. I didn't dislike them back then.  I simply didn't know them.

That was why, when this opportunity came up to spend some time with these ladies, I jumped at it. I enjoyed that afternoon and look forward to the next gathering.

At our 50th reunion 6 years ago I realized, as we all sat down for lunch, that I was at "the smart table." Again, more people that I didn't socialize with because - smart, studious, rule followers - wasn't the category anyone would place me in.  And yet?  I had a blast with them and didn't feel awkward.  Not much, anyway.

The reason I decided to address the idea of cliques is because it's been haunting me a bit since then.  Who gets through school unscathed?  Feelings get hurt. We mature, hopefully, and heal.

Your thoughts and comments are welcome.



No comments:

Post a Comment