Thursday, September 30, 2021

Do you say "gotta?"

I use "gotta" frequently but every now and then I try to quit.

It's not a real word.  You know that, right?
It's not in the dictionary.

But it doesn't sound wrong when you say it, does it.

"I gotta pick up the kids after school today."

"I gotta play well tonight or they're going to kick me off the team."

It's in place of "have to."  When you say those same sentences above and replace "gotta" with "have to" it sounds fine.  Not necessarily better than "gotta" but fine.  

Now, if you broke down "gotta" into what it's short for - got to - and say it out loud in those same sentences then the grammar police will be at your door in a matter of moments.

Go ahead, try it.

You sound like an uneducated dolt, don't you.

If we're really honest with ourselves, I guess you could say "gotta" is slightly easier to say.  Rolls off the tongue.  Slides right out of your mouth.  "Have to" involves the lower lip making a long, long trip up to the bottom of the upper teeth for the "v" sound.  

Yeah, that's work.

So I challenge you to try and give "gotta" the heave-ho for a while and see how you feel after a few days.

Report back, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment