Saturday, November 28, 2020

Seatbelts

 I'm almost 72 years old and I can easily remember when they started making cars with seatbelts.

Many of us didn't wear them, did we.  We didn't like them . . . so we didn't wear them.

Our kids sat (sometimes stood) in the back seat unrestrained.  We didn't give it a thought.

Then the car manufacturers put in those dang bells and whistles to remind us to buckle up.  

We hated those even more.  A lot of us connected the buckles but behind our backs (or figured out a way to stop the "dinging")  because we didn't want the belts to wrinkle our clothes.  

And then?  They made a law!!!  The nerve!!!

What was behind all this stuff?  

Our safety.

Really?  The laws were put in place to protect us and our children?

hmmmm

Fast forward to "distracted driving."  

I love my cell phone.  Can't picture life without it.  It's too late to go backwards, they're here to stay.  Until, I guess, we get something implanted in our skulls that will replace them.  Yikes!

But we've all been behind someone texting/talking on their phone, haven't we.  We want to pick up our phones and call the cops, don't we.

Now there's a law - in most states. No texting while driving, etc.

Yup.  Another law to protect us and others on the road.

See where I'm going with this?

Do I want a law requiring everyone to wear a mask?  Should it be a state or federal law?  Do I really want that to happen?

If it does, I'm ok with it but I'd prefer if people would just go about their lives thinking unselfishly of others and their health and safety.

We see by the numbers that that hasn't happened so . . . . a new law?

If you're an anti-masker, don't bother replying.  My blood pressure can't take it.


No comments:

Post a Comment