Friday, July 24, 2020

Red House Ramblings

It's been 3 weeks since we moved into the Red House and we're a bit more settled than a week ago.

I'm not trying to drift toward the fridge, left of the sink, like it was back in Allegan but catching myself in time to make the correction.  Muscle memory takes a while to change.

Like the light switches.  They're all toggle switches here and there are a lot of them which has taken a while to get straight in my head.  Which one does what; still working on a few.  However, I find myself for some strange reason trying to "flick" the bedroom light on.  We didn't even have wall switches in our bedroom in Allegan.

Speaking of Allegan.  I went back to get my hair cut earlier this week.  I haven't considered, even for a moment, of looking for someone else to cut my hair here - Michelle is the best.
I wasn't sure how I would feel driving into town, and of course, I passed my old house.
I will always miss Allegan and all the wonderful years we spent there.  I will always miss that old blue house but I feel very settled with it being in the hands of a caring couple.
And - it's only 22 miles away!

I don't watch the morning news anymore.  I think it's partly because we can actually see the sunrise here and we couldn't in Allegan because of the trees.  It's also because the news was making me crazy so I'm better off without it.  Bonus - wonderful morning views of the sun.

I'm back working as a freelance interpreter.  Between going to FL right after Christmas last year and Covid-19, I haven't worked since early December.  I've also narrowed down the area I'm willing to work in to Holland exclusively so working and living in the same town has been great.

Walking to the central mail drop area instead of receiving letters at our house has been an experience I haven't had since college. Remember those little boxes you opened hoping to see something in there?  Waving your hand around inside to make sure you didn't miss anything? Great way to meet people in the community and stretch my legs a bit too.

Petey and I still have moments when we feel like we're on vacation.  Like when we go to FL.  We enjoy the heck out of ourselves and then it's "time to go home."  

Last night we went downtown to have a bite and it had the hustle and bustle feel of a vacation spot.  You could tell most of the people there were on vacay because the adults had their kids with them!
We were like "isn't it cool that we live here and our house is just 3 miles away?

So, we're not in FL packing to go home and we're not on a weekend getaway, we're in Holland, MI in the Red House.

Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment