Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Diplomacy in the salon

 First off, when I say "salon" I'm referring to what we used to call the "beauty parlor."

It sounds weird now when I hear myself say it out loud but salon sounds a bit pretentious.  I think it's my age.  Old habits, ya know.

Anyway, I've thought a lot about the stylists (hair dressers - another oldie name tag) and how they handle their clients.

Back up a minute for a little history.  When I moved back to Michigan in 1978 I had to find someone to cut my hair.  I was extremely fortunate right at the get-go although, for the life of me, I can't remember her name.  I can see her face but no name is coming to me.

She was wonderful and then got married and started having babies.

Then I found Irene Gates.  She was great and then decided to leave the profession and put more time into her art.  She's a wonderful artist.  Check her out on FB.

I think I experimented a bit before I found Sue Cole in downtown Allegan.  I even followed her when she switched locations.

She retired/changed things up a bit but I stayed in her chair and the lady, Michelle Rutledge, next to that chair moved over and I've been with her ever since.  Even followed her to her new location.

Hey, ya find someone you trust and also like a lot, you follow.

You also keep coming back.  Now that we live in Holland I've changed doctors but not "stylists."  Back to Allegan monthly.

Now, back to the title of this blog.  

I remember being told by "someone" (I won't name names) that often times when customers bring in a picture of a hairstyle, what they really want is to look like the super model in the picture.  Not so much the hairstyle.  

How do they handle that situation? How do they find the words to say "honey, that ain't never gonna happen?"  

When they've had a longtime customer sporting the same style for decades, do they kindly suggest something new?  Like from this century or wait to be asked?

What about color?  "As we age" (don't you hate that expression) dark colors are not as flattering as they were when we were 21. 

Another sticky situation.  Suggest something softer or take the big leap and mention returning to the natural color - even if it's white???  Egad!

Do stylists critique every head that walks by?  I know they do because someone I trust and love told me so.

I remember a handful of years ago I was complaining to Michelle about the back of my hair doing some kinda flippy thing and she said "Ellen, you know you have a lot of natural wave in your hair.  What do you think about embracing it?"

Remember how I said I trust her?  Well, we moved on to a new frontier and I haven't looked back.  

I don't know if I could be as diplomatic as most stylists are.  I know I couldn't.  I'd feel it would be my civic duty to talk that woman out of her beehive (look it up if you're so young you've never see that word before) or convince the fellow in my chair that mullets ARE OVER!

Stylists have your best interests at heart.  They know hair.  Don't be afraid to say "Hey, I want to change things up a bit.  What do you suggest?"

See you next week, Michelle!



No comments:

Post a Comment